Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Reflection on Paraphrase practice

Today I learned how to paraphrase a source and successfully incorporate a quote.  Before this class I did not know the difference between paraphrasing and summarizing.  Paraphrasing is a much more effective way to prove a point because it is more specific and includes more detail than a summary.  I also learned how to add information to a quote to further explain it and how to trim the quote so tat it only includes the information I need.

This is what I learned today:

  • Only use a direct quote when it adds power and style to my writing.
  •  Always make it clear, from context, that I understand the full meaning of he quote.
  • Whether I quote or paraphase, I must always I mus always be transparent about the source and how I'm using it.
  • If I use another authors exact words in any way I must use quotation marks and give credit, If I use another authors presentation of facts or ideas, but put their ideas in my own words, I better have a good reason for doing so and give credit.
  • Hyperlinkng is so easy there is no excuse for not being transparent about my sources.
I understand these statements.

No comments:

Post a Comment